Is the Air in Your Home Too Dry This Winter?
- Mar 24, 2017 /
- BY Admin /
- 0 COMMENTS
There are many characteristics of winter weather, some less enjoyable than others. While you’re most likely to experience them when outside, exterior weather does have a way of affecting interior conditions beyond just temperature. Winter dryness is a not-so-pleasant example.
How it Happens
The term “relative humidity” is used to determine the moisture content of the air around you because the significance of a humidity percentage depends on the temperature of the air. The colder the air, the less moisture it can hold, so humidity is measured bearing this in mind. However, because of this relationship between temperature and humidity, even somewhat moist winter air will experience a significant drop in relative humidity once it is heated by the HVAC system in your home. The result is that your warm interior air is even drier than the cold air outside.
Without the right equipment or specifications, your forced air heating system may not be able to compensate for this winter dryness, leading to a number of unpleasant effects. Dry air takes a toll on skin, leading to irritation, chapped lips, and other uncomfortable sensations. Having dry eyes can make it difficult to enjoy relaxing activities like reading, and waking up in the morning with a dry throat isn’t the best way to start your day. The likelihood of catching a cold or the flu also increases with loss in humidity. Those who have health conditions or otherwise sensitive respiratory systems are particularly aware that dry air is certainly to be avoided.
Be aware of how you’re setting or programming your thermostat and avoid heating your home at temperatures higher than necessary. There are a few quick tricks that are suggested sometimes, such as placing containers holding water near heating vents, but the most effective solution is to use humidifiers. Individual units placed in various rooms in your home is one approach, but there are also plenty of excellent humidifier systems that add moisture to the air that your forced-air heating system circulates throughout your home. Ask an HVAC expert to find out which is right for you!
Improving your interior climate can take the comfort of your home to another level. At Climate Change YYC, we believe that skilled care for your HVAC equipment is the most important part of making this happen for you. Call us at (403) 819-2156 to find out more about our services!
- The Quick And Effective Solution For Your Heating And Cooling Units
- Enjoy Hot Water after Hot Water Tank Installation Services in Calgary
- Utilize The Effective Impacts Of Hot Water Tank Installation Services
- Climate Change Heating and Cooling services for your best home
- Obtain Professional Emergency Furnace Repair Service at Affordable Price
- Get Professional Cooling and Heating Services at Affordable Rates
- Central Air Conditioning Installation Services In Calgary
- Hire Experts to get Air Conditioning Cleaning Services
- When & why to Hire Commercial Thermostat Services in Calgary
- Why is it important to get Regular Services for your Furnace System
Call Us 403-819-2156
Book your quote