Your Furnace While You’re Away
- Mar 30, 2017 /
- BY Admin /
- 0 COMMENTS
Winter can be a fun and beautiful time of year, but there’s nothing like a good winter vacation to get away from that harsh icy weather. If you’re planning on leaving town, there are a few bases to cover when it comes to your furnace.
Few things are more wasteful than leaving your home’s HVAC equipment at its usual settings when your home is unoccupied for an extended period of time. This goes not only for your furnace, but also for your air conditioning system while you’re away during summer. So, does this mean a total shutdown is the best course of action? Definitely not! You might be eager to keep that energy bill down and save as much as possible, but there are a number of other home functions that hang in the balance. This is especially important to bear in mind when it comes to your furnace.
Keeping It On
Setting your thermostat a bit lower before you leave is a far better idea than shutting off your furnace completely. The exact recommended setting can vary, but you shouldn’t let it go below 10 or 15 degrees. Without heat from your furnace, it’s possible that your plumbing will freeze up and even leak or burst. Unless you want to return from your vacation to discover flooding in your home, you should avoid this at all costs. Worst-case scenario aside, warming the house back up after its interior, framing, and other structural elements have lost their heat can be almost as costly as forgetting to lower the thermostat before leaving.
Good circulation and ventilation are as important when you’re away as when you’re home. Keep most interior doors open so that warm air can flow freely. Set your water heater to its vacation setting as well, as this will avoid wasted gas and energy. As an extra precaution against flooding, it can also be a good idea to shut off your main water valve. Be sure to have a trusted neighbour or family member check in on things a few times. As for your furnace, make sure it’s in good shape before you leave. Keep a fresh filter installed as usual, and have a winter inspection done for good measure!
Whether you’re leaving for a winter getaway or simply staying prepared, you can’t beat service from a local certified HVAC technician. Call Climate Change YYC at (403) 819-2156 to schedule an appointment with one of ours!
- Climate Change Heating and Cooling services for your best home
- Obtain Professional Emergency Furnace Repair Service at Affordable Price
- Get Professional Cooling and Heating Services at Affordable Rates
- Central Air Conditioning Installation Services In Calgary
- Hire Experts to get Air Conditioning Cleaning Services
- When & why to Hire Commercial Thermostat Services in Calgary
- Why is it important to get Regular Services for your Furnace System
- Breathe in Fresh and Healthy Environment with Regular Duct Cleaning Services
- Why Duct Cleaning is very Important
- Cost of Dust Cleaning Services in Calgary
Phone Now 403-819-2156
Fill out this form!